In this article, we will talk about golf balls in detail. We will give answers to the following popular questions of novice athletes.
- What are golf balls made of?
- What they are.
- How much does a golf ball weigh?
- Which manufacturers’ products do professional players use?
- What is the maximum speed a golf ball can reach in flight?
So, let’s begin.
What are golf balls made of and what are they?
The structure of golf balls
All golf balls are complex. They consist of:
- intermediate layers;
- thin plastic outer shells with cavities.
The cores are usually made of rubber. The intermediate layers consist of special mixtures of polymeric materials (Surlin, polyurethane elastomer, polybutadiene, etc.). Manufacturers vary layer compositions and compression levels to change ball aerodynamics and deformation.
So do special models designed for long, rolling and twisted strokes. Manufacturers indicate this information on the packaging.
Types of golf balls depending on the number of layers
Manufacturers produce one-, two-, three-, four-, and five-ply golf balls. Let’s talk about them in more detail.
Single layer. The cheapest balls, consisting of cores and outer shells. Designed for early training. Range and flight speed are minimal.
Double layer. Received the greatest distribution because of universality and small cost.
Multilayer (3-5 layers). Such balls are used by professionals to perform long, rolling and twisted shots of various complexity. The cost is high.
About the outer coating of a golf ball
The outer coating of a golf ball has a large number of depressions. They are not just made. The dimples help the ball to fly exactly in the direction in which it was sent by the golfer, and also increase the range and speed of the flight.
Manufacturers produce golf balls with different numbers of cavities. The more of them, the better.
Interesting facts about golf balls
Making multi-ply golf balls that meet PGA standards is a complex process of 80 steps and 30 controls. It takes a month to release one batch. That is why the cost is at a high level.
Single- and double-layer balls are made much faster and easier.
To play in difficult weather conditions, manufacturers produce colored balls (yellow, blue and pink).There are female models. They are lighter and softer.
Weight and size of golf balls
In professional golf, the following regulations apply.
- The weight of a golf ball must not exceed 45.93 grams.
- Rebound, when throwing a ball on a concrete surface from a height of 1 m at a temperature of 25 ° C, cannot be more than 85 cm.
- The speed of the golf ball at the moment of impact must not exceed 70 m/s.
- The maximum flight distance is 293 m.
- The fixed golf ball size (diameter) is 42.67 mm.
Maximum golf ball speed
High-speed flight is developed by high-quality multilayer balls with a large number of depressions. The recorded maximum limit is 214 kilometers per hour.
Selection of golf balls
There are a huge number of balls (over 850) that meet the PGA standards. Experienced golfers usually buy products from brands:
If you want to get the maximum pleasure from the game and achieve high results, do not skimp on quality.
How to choose a ball
In accordance with modern golf rules, the maximum weight of the ball is 46 grams, the minimum diameter is 4.26 cm. According to the internal structure, there are balls: one, two, three, and even four layers.
For beginners who will often lose balls, it is better to choose single-layer or double-layer balls, which attract with low cost and minimal rotation in flight. Three and four ply balls are designed for experienced golfers who hit the ball with high speed and strong spin.
A tee is a wooden or plastic stand on which a ball may be placed to make the first stroke of each hole.
Dimples – improve air flow around the ball in flight, reduce air resistance and provide a longer impact range.
Intermediate layer – Consists of rubber threads that wrap around the core; increases ball speed and feel on impact.
Core – May be solid (usually rubber) or liquid (usually water).
- If you are a beginner or have constant problems with spin shots (for example: slice), then you need a ball with minimal spin.
YOUR CHOICE – Srixon, Wilson
- Do you often lose balls on the golf course and need a quality and inexpensive ball?YOUR CHOICE – Nike power
- Premium balls with high spin speed and better handling on the greens.YOUR CHOICE – Titleist Pro V1, Callaway-HX-Tour
- Only we have the best balls for women.YOUR FAVORITE – Callaway Solaire Golf Balls
- Want to save on balls or need premium balls at affordable pricesYOUR CHOICE – SECOND-HAND balls